Introducing Friction 0.9.4. This release includes several fixes and generic improvements to the user experience.
Generic changes and fixes
- Fixed full screen on Windows
- Fixed several build warnings
- Viewer/Canvas now supports panning with
- Easing expressions bugfix
- Expression dialog bugfix
- Don’t add locked object(s) to selection (bugfix)
- Font widget bugfixes
- Fixed regressions introduced in earlier releases
- Removed more legacy code
- Improved settings dialog
- Moved from edit to file menu
- Scene settings dialog fixes
Improved audio device handling
- Better failsafe
- Restore last used device (if possible)
- Select audio output device (in preferences)
Improved shader effects support
- Support shaders in application bundle (not used yet)
- Don’t allow duplicate shaders
- Recursively scan for shader plugins
- Optional custom shader path
- Removed file watcher instances
- The implementation was flawed and needs a rewrite
- Changes to shaders now require a program restart
- Added basic shader manager (in preferences)
Improved timeline UX
- Support timecodes on the timeline
- Simplify bottom scrollbar
- Scrolling on the timeline now supports modifiers
wheelwill now scale in/out the frame range as if you used the scrollbar
wheelwill now pan the frame range as if you used the scrollbar
- Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2017 or higher is needed on Windows 10
- In most cases this is already installed, if not you can download it here
- Windows setup/portable are not signed and will trigger warnings during installation and/or first run
Friction is beta quality software, expect issues and missing/broken features.
- HiDPI (display scaling) on Windows does not work yet
- Fixed in 0.9.5-beta1
- Adjusting shader effect parameters might trigger a crash on Linux
- CSS style sheets are not supported when importing an SVG
- SVG’s from Adobe Illustrator (and others?) may have issues due to this
- In some circumstances this might result in an invalid undo state after import
And more, see our issue tracker for more information.
- If you find an issue with the application please report it on our issue tracker (requires a GitHub account).
- For general discussion, feature requests etc use our forum (requires a GitHub account).
For other inquiries use support at friction dot graphics.
Published 4 September 2023.